It’s Friday. Mother’s Day is Sunday. Trawling the internet for last-minute ideas on what you can do for/give Mom as a token of your appreciation? Look no further; here’s a craft that it easy to do, easy to clean up, and even involves some science–Personalized Soap Shapes!
Ready to get started? Great. You’re going to need:
- A large microwave safe bowl
- a microwave
- Ivory Soap (yes, it does need to be Ivory Brand)
- Cookie Cutters
- rose-water or other fragrance (optional)
- food coloring (optional)
- sheet of wax paper
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Unwrap a bar of Ivory Soap, put it in a bowl, and place it in the microwave. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. Never done this before? It’s awesome. Check out a video of it here.
2. Allow the cloud of soap to cool, then shred it into small pieces. Mix it a bit of water (or something fancy like lavender or rose-water) to turn it into a past. You can also add a drop or two of food coloring, but careful not to add too much.
3. Press the soap shapes into your favorite cookie cutter forms and allow them to harden on the wax paper. Think of a message to write to Mom about why you chose each shape. How did they remind you of her?
4. It’s time to give her your present! Carefully remove the shapes from the molds, and wrap them up as a present.. or leave them next to the tub as a nice surprise.
Need a more detailed guide? Find one of our favorite examples by clicking here.