Make a sweet treat for your favorite valentine.
- (per airplane)
- 1 Rubber band
- 1 un-lined white index card to decorate
- and fold to the size of a stick of gum * (or 1 stick of flat gum (such as Wrigley’s)
- 2 Life Savers candies
- 1 package of Smarties candies
*PHRASES for your index card
- Valentine, It’s PLANE to see I Love You!
- Have a HIGH FLYING Valentine’s Day!
- Valentine, You make my heart SOAR!
- 1. Hold the Smarties package at a vertical position. The Smarties will be the body of the plane. Alternatively, you can use any roll of candy, such as a Tootsie Roll.
- 2. Place the gum perpendicular to the Smarties candy at a horizontal position, making a “T” formation. The gum will become the wings.
- 3. Thread the rubber band through both of the Life Savers. Using a crochet hook can help.
- 4. Rest the roll of Smarties or Tootsie Roll between them, on the rubber band. The Life Savers should be about two-thirds of the way along the roll, or at the end of the roll.
- 5. Pull the rubber band ends over the ends of the stick of gum (or folded & decorated index card) to hold it in place.
The craft idea came from the 2010 Missouri Library Association conference, and thanks to Marge Kudrna, the former Youth Services Consultant of Missouri State Library for the directions.
Come to Carpenter Branch Library at 3009 S. Grand Blvd on Tuesday, February 14th from 3:30-4:30 where we will provide supplies and assistance making the candy airplane.