You’ve heard of a “helping hand,” but here’s a quick and easy craft that will really bring your hands to life:
What you’ll need:
- at least two pipe cleaners
- styrofoam balls, ~ 1” in diameter (you may cut out circles of paper instead)
What you’ll do:
School may be back in session, and September may be just around the corner, but it is still Summer! Summer is the best time to read stories about daring adventures and survival. It seems a little easier for imaginations to run wild when they’re not constrained to the classroom walls. Here are some wonderful picture and chapter adventure books recommended for those of you trying to keep the spirit of
Summer alive and who are not yet ready to accept the relentless approach of Autumn. Find them all at your favorite local St. Louis Public Library Branch!
Sitck by Steve Breen
Meet Stick. He’s a young frog with a thirst for adventure and a verrry long tongue. One day, he tries to eat a dragonfly, but instead his tongue gets stuck to the insect and he’s carried off to New Orleans. There, Stick has a number of crazy escapades before hitching a ride back home on a heron. This humorous story and large, colorful illustrations will engage readers in Stick’s fun adventure.
All Aboard the Dinotrain by Deb Lund
Fans of Dinosailors will be delighted to see their favorite dinosaurs back for more fun. The series of misadventures that awaits them aboard the titular train will have kids delighting in this crazy crew. The rhyming text full of “dino” words – like “dinocrew” and “dinoflying” – and the large, expressive illustrations make this book a great, fun read.
More great stuff this week at the St. Louis Public Library! We hope to see you at one of these great activities:
- 8/27: Storytime for preschoolers 10-10:45 a.m.
- 8/28: Creative Kids-Suncatchers. Make a craft to savor the waning rays of summer 4-5 p.m.
- 8/30: It’s a party! Jewelry Making. Come and make necklaces, bracelets, & more 4-5:30 p.m.
- 8/27: Storytime for toddlers and preschoolers 11-11:30 a.m.
- 8/29: Storytime for preschoolers 10:30-11
- 8/30: Storytime for preschoolers 10:30-11
- 8/30: Back to School Bash! Decorate your folders, notebooks, and book covers & get ready for a great year 4-5 p.m.
- 8/29: Sparkling Stars Storytime for preschoolers and toddler 5-5:30 p.m.
Julia Davis Branch
- 8/28: Adventures in the Afternoon-storytelling, crafts, & games 2-4 p.m.
- 8/27: Storytime for toddlers and preschoolers 10-10:30
- 8/29: Movie Time! Watch Jumanji, just don’t roll a 5 or 8… 4-6 p.m.
Have a great week!
Show off some style by making this cool looking pencil case with DUCT TAPE!
Check out this video by clicking on the picture below and learn how make your own pencil case:
As we all jump back into the hustle and bustle of another busy school year, many students (and some parents!) may be stressed about homework, projects, and long-term assignments. If that may be you, don’t forget about adding the St. Louis Public Library to your list of resources, we’re here to help!
Your favorite Branch location has a staff of dedicated professionals who are there to assist you. Whether you need information from our wide selection of databases, a book for a future report, or help from the reference desk, we are here.
There are also Homework Helpers at each location to help you and your child make the most of all those to-do’s in your book bag; be they writing skills or math problems. So next time you need a place to re-focus your study, try the Library… and don’t forget to ask about earning your Library Bucks!
Now that the school year is upon (just about) all of us, don’t think that means the fun of summer is over. The St. Louis Public Library still has lots of great stuff week in and week out! This week you can:
- watch Creature from the Black Lagoon Monday evening at Carpenter Branch
- create a messy, gluey, awesome Yarn-Bowl Tuesday at Baden Branch
- Make a Magnetic Marker at Divoll Branch on Wednesday
- Play video games Thursday afternoon at Julia Davis Branch
- Close out another week of school Friday afternoon at Walnut Park Branch with the film Dolphin Tale
Okay, there are more than ten other crafts, storytimes, and activities waiting for you at one of your favorite Branches. Pick up a copy of Check-It-Out and plan your adventure today!
Start your school year with this cute duct tape folder.