Then it may be time to pinch pennies and save them with this nifty Nutcracker Piggy- Bank craft!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pringles can (with lid)
- juice can
- Doll Pins (2)
- Construction paper: red, black, white, yellow, cream
- White yarn
- Wiggle eyes (2)
- Hole punch
- Tacky glue
- Craft knife
- Black markers
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Click here to get the template: http://www.pack-o-fun.com/Patterns/December08/NutcrackerBank.pdf
- Trace and cut out the patterns. Position the Pringles can, with the lid on, upside down.
- For the uniform: Measure and cut a 3 1/4″ x 10″ black paper rectangle (pants), a 3 3/4″ x 10″ red paper rectangle (shirt), and a 2 1/4″ x 10″ cream paper rectangle (face). Glue pants, shirt, and face around the can.
- For the face: Glue teeth along bottom edge of face. Use a craft knife to CAREFULLY cut a slit between the top and bottom teeth (for bank opening). Glue a mustache above the teeth and a nose above mustache. Glue eyes and eyebrows above the nose. For cheeks, cut two 5/8″ red paper circles & glue them on the face.
- For hair, glue white yarn around the top of the can. For a beard, cut small pieces of black construction paper; glue below the teeth.
- For the arms: Measure and cut two 2″ x 3 1/4″ red paper rectangles. Wrap and glue red rectangles around the doll pins. Glue arms on sides of the body.
- For buttons, use the hole punch to punch eight yellow circles. Glue buttons down the body.
- For the hat: cut the juice can in half. Measure and cut 2 3/4″ x 9 ” red paper rectangle and glue the rectangle around the can. Trace the juice can lid on red paper; cut it out. Glue the circle on top of can. Glue a hat brim on bottom of hat. Glue hat onto the Nutcracker’s head.
Need to dip into your savings? Remove the lid from the base of the bank.
Reference: Pack-O-Fun (Vol. Dec. 2008) pp. 38-39, and 63.