As promised earlier, we’re back with today’s craft activity!
We hope you had a great Thanksgiving yesterday. If it was anything like ours, you now have lots of decorations to put away, and maybe a few dishes still waiting in the sink.
We can’t help you with those remaining pots and pans, but here’s a great way to give more life to some of those perishable fall decorations–the assorted gourds that were probably placed all around the house and dining table:
Make your own Gourd Characters!
What you’ll need:
- paints (alternatively, Sharpies Markers will work in a pinch too)
- paper plates to paint on
- old newspaper or other surface/table cover that can get dirty
What you’ll do:
- Set up your work area so that you won’t get paint on anything, and grab a good-looking gourd
- Decide which part of the gourd looks most like part of a face–accent that, and use to create your own characters
- Want to bring it to life even more? Try using wiggle eyes and/or Mr. Potatohead-style parts to really make your creation pop!
- Set it somewhere safe to dry, and then display it Jack-o-Lantern style for all to see!
Need a bit more inspiration? Check out a few more of the cool and crazy gourds made by patrons at the Baden Branch of the St. Louis Public Library: