Are you headed for the Missouri Botanical Garden’s Chinese Culture Days this weekend? Check out a few books to bring the spirit of the festival home with you.
- Ginnie Lo’s Mahjong All Day Long introduces young readers to the classic tile game of mahjong.
- Demi’s The Legend of Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching offers a mystical look into the philosopher’s life and work.
- The Runaway Wok by Ying Chang Compestine gives the classic tale of “The Talking Pot” a Chinese New Year twist.
- The Ballad of Mulan by Song Nan Zhang and China’s Bravest Girl: The Legend of Hua Mu Lan by Charlie Chin recount versions of the legendary woman warrior.
- Grace Lin has penned several picture and chapter books with Chinese cultural themes worth reading. The Newbery Honor Where the Mountain Meets the Moon draws from Chinese folklore to create an epic journey of a young girl’s struggle to help her family.